Portfolio

Sources Used for My Summary & Response Paper:

1. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ifdyovafnrx-H1hiFpLGDNzUyZHcEE0SK650Y092jy0/edit?usp=sharing
    • In this doc file we are given a short-written passage of the author having the reader think about their origins and background of indigenous people who have once lived in Africa but have unfortunately been enslaved during the era of colonialism. The message the author is really trying to portray through this work is to have the reader not forget about and thank the indigenous people who have helped shape the place we call home.
  2. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/28/opinion/hurricane-ida-new-york-city.html
    • This New York Times article titled: “Let Water Go Where It Wants to Go” is a very informative article that informs the reader how the poor water infrastructure of NYC has led to the people eventually forgetting and being educated on how the water system in NYC really works resulting in a disruption of nature and the community facing the consequences of making these changes to the flow of water with massive cases of flooding.
  3. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/06/nyregion/tibbets-brook-bronx-daylighting.html
    • This New York Times article titled: “Why New York Is Unearthing a Brook It Buried a Century Ago” informs the reader of how due to industrialization making massive changes to the landscape in New York City, it resulted in many wetlands and brooks being buried and slowly forgotten by the citizens of NYC. This is not a good thing at all since the origins of our water is not being acknowledged which results in us continuing the construction of a badly designed water system.

Films Used in my Comparative Analysis Paper:

1) Princess Mononoke:

The film that I chose to be more effective in my comparative analysis paper was Princess Mononoke, directed by Hayao Miyazaki and produced by Studio Ghibli. The hard work done by Studio Ghibli can be seen throughout the film with its beautiful animation and depiction of nature. Then I would like to mention how apart from the wonderful animation done by Studio Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki was able to show lots of meaningful symbolism behind each of the characters in the film that represent how people in the real-world do actually think and act.

2) Don’t Look Up:

For the film Don’t Look Up, directed by Adam McKay, I was close to choosing it above Princess Mononoke for how the cast did a great job in creating an intense aura as the film progressed while still maintaining some comedic essence into the film. I would say that Jennifer Lawrence and Leonardo DiCaprio both especially did very well in playing their characters and created a relatable relationship with their viewers. Despite choosing Princess Mononoke over Don’t Look Up, I would still have to give this film a point in having the reader start to think more about the consequences humanity may face if climate change isn’t being taken care of with the realism and visual effects done by the production team.

Sources Used in My Research Paper:

Source #1: “Fighting Water with Water: Behavioral Change versus Climate Change.”

In “Fighting Water with Water: Behavioral Change versus Climate Change.” the authors Valorie and Lancaster both do a fantastic job in providing the reader various solutions shown by different states within the United States of America on how to handle the growth to the issue of Climate Change. In this article we can see how “daylighting” is one of the provided solutions to slowing down the growth to this issue and also having the community being one key solution by changing the bad habits we all slowly began to develop over the years that is ultimately affecting the whole environment.

Source #2: “CLIMATE CHANGE ATTITUDES AND KNOWLEDGE.”

In this piece of text, the authors, Armstrong, Anne K, have educators and researchers be the target audience in finding a better approach with their own audience due to the lack of response from the audience despite of proving to the entire world that climate change is negatively affecting the world, and nothing is being done to slow down the problem. In short terms the authors really show how communication from educators and researchers is more important than what it seems to be and must be taken seriously or else the people won’t even take your words into consideration.

Source #3: Princess Mononoke:

Once again, for the amazing job done by Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyaki, I just had to bring back Princess Mononoke once again for their touch on Climate Change and how communication matters in order to unite a community in challenging industrialization through the story told by the characters.

Just another CUNY Academic Commons site